The Kankakee County Historical Society’s Museum Campus consists of the main museum building with 10 large exhibits, but also two important historic structures, the Dr. A. L. Small Home and the Taylor School House. We have a meditative shade garden with large columns portrayed in ruins with a historic fountain in the center. Adjacent is the Let Freedom Ring Garden with memorial bricks from all of the armed services.
The Dr. A. L. Small memorial home was constructed in 1855 and substantially added to between 1872 and 1875. Touring the Dr. A. L. Small Home, interpreted ca 1895, museum visitors can learn about the daily life of an upper middle-class physician’s family.
Visiting the Taylor School House, built in 1904, allows visitors an appreciation of one-room rural education in the early part of the twentieth century. This school house has a back room decorated with the farmer’s castoffs and everyone enjoys looking at how teachers lived in the back of the school.
Learning about local history can be entertaining and it should be fun. At the Kankakee County Historical Society’s Museum Campus in Small Memorial Park we are dedicated to preserving the history and culture of the Kankakee County area, interpreting it, and presenting it to the public in an academically sound manner, but also in a way that is fun. Many weddings and events take place monthly on the museum campus.
The B. Harley Bradley House in Kankakee, Illinois, is widely acknowledged as Wright’s first Prairie Style design. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places individually and as part of the Riverview Historic District
Following an extensive restoration, the Bradley House now enjoys the opportunity to be appreciated by architecture fans from around the world. Write in Kankakee is pleased to offer you the opportunity to tour the Bradley House, browse fine gifts in the Stable Shop, or host your special event with us.
Programs begin at 1 p.m. on the first Saturday of every other month at the Kankakee Public Library. Guests are very welcome.
The library is located at 201 East Merchant Street in downtown Kankakee. It is the first three floors of the Executive Centre.
The Community Foundation of Kankakee River Valley is a nonprofit, community corporation created by and for the people of the Greater Kankakee County Region. Through its work, the Community Foundation allows donors to make a positive impact on their community.
Incorporated in 1982, the Community Foundation of Kankakee River Valley currently has assets over $6 million. It is governed by a 15-member board of professional and business leaders.
Community foundations provide a simple, powerful and highly personal approach to achieving one’s charitable goals. Donors can give cash, appreciated stock, real estate, or other assets and receive maximum charitable and tax benefits while helping their communities.
For information on what’s going on in Kankakee Community, check out the Community Calendar.